Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Campaign 1st mission

Since We play WH40k with one of my friends We always wanted to give it a bit more character, to make campaigns somehow. Well, the first game of that kind was held today, He was something like a DM and I was the player.

First He told me a story about what happened before the battle. It was about the Tau finding something really interesting on a planet, which they wanted to investigate, but surprisingly enough Orks attacked them and since this was only an expeditionary force, We, the Tau had to flee to one of our settlements and wait for evac.

This is the time when I was asked to create a Tau army of about 750-1000, but fluffy. I really liked the idea to make an fun army so I created something like this:
12 FW squad with pulse rifles and with a team leader who had a markerlight, Devilfish with disruption pod, blacksun filter and 2 seeker missiles
10 FW squad with pulse rifles, Devilfish with disruption pod and blacksun filter
7 FW with pulse carbines (without DF, assuming they lost it in the surprise attack)
1 Ethereal with an 8-man honour guard, Devilfish with disruption pod and blacksun filter
3 XV25s, one with fusion blaster

I still believe this army is fluffy enough with all the disruption pods, blacksun filters, stealth suits and the Ethereal of course.

After this We put up a map full of buildings and I gained my objectives: for 9 turns keep the Ethereal alive, or hold a certain building with computers in it to get access to the information. I got to choose the place of 3 stratagems, of which 1 gave feel no pain, 1 reroll to hit and 1 reroll to wound.

When I put up my forces (I was told where to deploy them, outside the city) I got 2 six-man FW squads in the city, assuming they were guarding it or keeping the contact with the spaceships or something like that. After this He immediately deployed 2 trukks with 20 boyz about 3-4 inches from me.

This was my starting position and every turn for 9 turns He rolled the dice to look if any ork reinforcements will come (after the 5th round automatically came something of course) and if something came in (He always rolled enough to bring a few more orks) He rolled a few again to find out what will it be exactly with the help of a self made chart which worked really fine.

First It was really easy to fight off the Orks but as He rolled more and more orks to come in from different sides the whole thing started to get really messy for the Tau. The funniest part was when it came out that a looted wagon will come in and of course it was the Devilfish the FWs lost a few minutes ago but with a flamer and a big shoota on it... After hours of play, loosing nearly all of my warriors at the end of 9th round We couldn't agree on who has won because the Ethereal has been killed, but the building was held by a Devilfish.

I'm sure We will play more like this because a story behind the battle really helps You imagine the situations and enjoy the game in a different way as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment