Sunday, October 25, 2009

1000 point battle report vs. Space Marines

Today We just played a quick battle, where I tried to use the sweet XV8s with fusion blasters against armoured targets with no use. Let's see what happened:

My army list:
HQ:
Shas'vre with plasma, MP, MT, HW-DC, PR, 2 Shield drones
2 bodyguards with plasma, MP, TA, HW-MT

Elite:
XV8 team leader, TL-FB, TA, HW-DC 2 shield drones
XV8 TL-FB, TA

2*XV8 TL-MP, TA (favourite type of XV8, the Deathrains)

Troop:
2* 6 Fire warrior in Devilfish with DP (usual troop choice)

Heavy:
HH+BC+RG+MT+DP (my usual HH)


He had a land raider, 2 razorbacks with linked lascannons, 2*5 space marines, 5 terminators, 6 scouts, one with a missile launcher, and a Master of the Forge with his conversion beamer which I really hate.


I guess I should make photos about the battles because this way It's really hard to explain clearly what happened, so I'll just roughly explain what happened.

We played seize ground, with 4 points and rolled spearhead. I deployed only my HQ, Hammerhead and my Deathrains, He deployed his Land raider and one Razorback standing together with his MOF attached to the scouts in a ruin (3+ because of the MOF) controlling a point.

In the first round We did nothing, noone could do nothing, not even a wound or a crew shaken.

In the second round I called in my FB XV8s near the Land Raider, which was a mishap, and he replaced my XV8s to the farest corner from his tanks. He came in with only his terminators, eliminating my Deathrains with a concentrated fire from everything.

3rd round one of my DF came in, sneaking near the side of the table to one of the farer points... Because of the terminators I turned back with my HQ and didn't try to outflank that damn razorback with its lascannon in the 3+ cover, but attacked the terminators.

From here things started to get fast so I don't remember clearly, but my HHs railgun got blown up (not inflicting a single wound or crew shaken) my second devilfish and his second razorback came in, I got my FB squad terminated, my HQ running and controlling 2 points, while he controlled one and contested one with my useless HH. In the 7th round I gave up, when I only had one control point, I've been near another one but standing in a crater with 3 fire warriros who survived the destruction of my DF (of 4 armour saves, I rolled 3 1s...) and that broken HH of mine.

Another loss for the great Tau Empire!

What did I learn? That tau don't have Leadership, and tend to run off the table, that HHs can't be used against tanks and that deep striking is a risky thing. I'm not sure my command squad is the best, I have to rethink that... Just the usual stuff. What do You think?

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Generally there's nothing wrong with the command set-up, I just think it's alot of points in a 1000 pts army. Also I think the fusion suits are too risky. Railguns do it so much better.

    If you dropped the fusion suits, downgraded the 2 bodyguards to a normal crisis suit unit (that the shas'el could still join), and finally downgraded the shas'el's drones to gun drones (use cover to give you a 4+ cover save) you'd save 191 pts.

    For 195 pts you could have a unit of 2 broadsides with 2 shield drones, that also have the advanced stabilisation system so they can move and fire. To save the extra pts (although I see nothing wrong with TAs on deathrains) I'd downgrade one of the deathrain TA for a Target lock.

    Don't be disheartened, it takes a while to find the sytle of play that works for you, all I suggest is magnitize the crisis suit weapons so you can switch them to try out different configs.

    Good luck with your Tau

    Rathstar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rathstar,

    I will certainly try out what You suggested. You are absolutely right about the drones, I'm almost always in cover luckily, I can watch out for that a bit more.

    It seems I forgot to write a report about a battle where de FB XV8s were great, though only while they destroyed a land raider. I should go with the Broadsides, You are right, I think.

    Thanks for the first comment,
    levente

    ReplyDelete